Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An Epic Lightning Storm

The song It's Electric comes to mind when I look at these photos. Lightning has always fascinated me and I'm not sure why. Usually it's a bolt here and a bolt there...but not often does it spread through the clouds like these photos show...at least not in Southeast Kansas.

So, when this storm popped up after a senior portrait session Wednesday evening I set up my tripod and started making images. After about an hour I had a few that I was proud of...these include the first three on this blog.

I had in my mind, though, something a bit more dramatic. It would require a LOT of luck and very little skill....something I'm pretty good at pulling off.

Around 10:30 p.m. I set up my tripod about 2 feet from the side of a highway and started watching for lightning. Unfortunately it appeared as if the storm was moving away and I wouldn't get a good shot. About the time my wife said it was time to head home, I clicked the shutter and let it expose the sky. Right as the long exposure was about to go off a semi and trailer passed through the bottom of the frame and the lightning exploded above it. That's how I got the bottom frame...and it's my favorite by far!




No comments: