Monday, July 6, 2009

Hanging Lake - Colorado's Most Beautiful Hike


I've had tons of questions about some of the photos I took while at the Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs, Colorado in June. Since I've got a little time to spare, I thought I'd type up a little more and go into detail about one of Colorado's most beautiful, hidden gems.

Shortly before I headed to Colorado, I did some research on waterfalls near where I would be staying for the week. Recently I've had a fascination with photographing moving water so I wanted capitalize on that while the rivers and streams were running at near full capacity. Luckily an Internet search gave me Hanging Lake. All the accounts I read said the hike would be relatively easy.

While it wasn't extremely difficult, it was pretty much a butt kicker. The trail (consisting of primarily boulders and a worn-down dirt path) climbed 1,000 feet in elevation from top to bottom of the 1.2 mile hike. Tack on 30-40 pounds of camera gear and it was 1 hour of COMPLETE SUCK hiking the trail.

Luckily, I knew what awaited me at the top of I would have probably quit 10 minutes into the hike. I wasn't disappointed when I got there.

The photos directly above and below were actually taken from atop the falls.

A few friends I met on the hike pose atop one of the two waterfalls.
A second set of waterfalls, known as Spouting Rock, is located a few hundred yards above and behind Hanging Lake. This is taken from behind the water - a small cavern provides a spot to walk around.

No comments: