Wednesday, July 7, 2010

In Between The Lines

The question has been asked "What goes through your mind at a photo shoot?" or "How do you prepare for a shoot?". All legitimate questions...I just wish I had a better answer than what I'll probably type in this blog.

For starters, I usually do have a plan of sorts. It might be like this: Head shot in studio, something edgy in studio, something fun in studio, head outside and do crazy things. That plan is actually scarily close to what happens EVERY shoot.

It USUALLY looks more like this though...Look at clothes and act like I know my fashion, decide on outfit, set up lights for head shot, fiddle with something, fiddle with something else, shoot head shot, forget that I should have turned on some sort of background music, fiddle, fiddle, stare at the subject hoping something jumps at me, shoot something else, change a background, etc. Basically I typically spend 10 minutes mentally killing myself trying to come up with ideas instead of just chilling and letting it happen.

Then I realize how organic my process is when everything is clicking and images are running through my head. Not just snapshots but killer images that make the subject smile with delight when they see the proofs. I've tried to explain the process but it really isn't a process at all. When good images are made, it's because my mind has shut off and I just roll with the mood. Usually I know it's happening...but sometimes I don't realize it until after I finish the session, much like the images in this set.

So anyway enough rambling. Here is Devan. I photographed her last week. She was a joy and an inspiration.




1 comment:

Diane said...

Kenny, Thank you for the nice thing's you have said about Devan. We are both so happy with the picture's we have seen, and we made the right choice having you take her picture's. I look on line everyday to see if there are more can't wait. Thanks again Diane Lloyd